How to Download Video Games Soundtracks for Free
Video games soundtracks are the music that accompanies video games. They can be catchy, epic, relaxing, or inspiring, depending on the genre and mood of the game. Many people enjoy listening to video games soundtracks even when they are not playing the game, because they can help them focus, motivate them, or simply entertain them.
But how can you download video games soundtracks for free? Where can you find them? And how can you play them on your device? In this article, we will answer these questions and more. We will show you why listening to video games soundtracks is beneficial, where to find the best sources of free video games music, and how to use the best apps and players for video games soundtracks.
Why Listen to Video Games Soundtracks?
Video games soundtracks are not just background noise. They are carefully composed and designed to enhance the gaming experience and create an immersive atmosphere. They can also have positive effects on your mood, productivity, and creativity.
Benefits of Video Games Music
Listening to video games music can have the following benefits:
- Elevate mood: Video games music can make you feel happy, excited, calm, or inspired, depending on the tone and tempo of the music. For example, upbeat and energetic music from games like Mario or Sonic can boost your mood and energy levels, while soothing and ambient music from games like Skyrim or Journey can relax you and reduce stress.
- Increase concentration: Video games music can help you focus and block out distractions, especially if the music is instrumental and without lyrics. For example, music from puzzle or strategy games like Tetris or Civilization can help you concentrate and solve problems, while music from action or adventure games like Assassin’s Creed or Uncharted can help you stay alert and attentive.
- Boost work productivity and game performance: Video games music can motivate you and foster a “get it done” mentality, especially if the music is fast-paced and dynamic. For example, music from racing or sports games like Need for Speed or FIFA can help you work faster and more efficiently, while music from role-playing or simulation games like Final Fantasy or The Sims can help you work smarter and more creatively.
- Stimulate the brain: Video games music can challenge and stimulate your brain, as it often involves complex rhythms, melodies, harmonies, and sound effects. For example, music from retro or arcade games like Pac-Man or Space Invaders can help you improve your memory and cognitive skills, while music from modern or indie games like Portal or Undertale can help you enhance your imagination and emotional intelligence.
- Help pass the time at work: Video games music can make your work more enjoyable and fun, as it can remind you of your favorite games and memories. For example, music from classic or nostalgic games like Zelda or Pokemon can make you feel nostalgic and happy, while music from new or popular games like Fortnite or Among Us can make you feel trendy and cool.
- Keep people energized and motivated: Video games music can keep you energized and motivated throughout the day, as it can provide variety and novelty to your playlist. For example, music from different genres or platforms like rock or metal, orchestral or electronic, PC or console can keep you interested and curious, while music from different cultures or languages like Japanese or Spanish, Arabic or Russian can keep you open-minded and respectful.
Types of Video Games Music
Video games music can be classified into different types based on the style, mood, genre, and platform of the music. Some of the most common types are:
- Original soundtracks (OSTs): These are the music that is composed specifically for a video game, usually by a professional composer or a team of composers. OSTs can vary in quality and length, depending on the budget and scope of the game. Some examples of OSTs are Halo, The Witcher, and Doom.
- Remixes and covers: These are the music that is based on or inspired by an existing video game music, usually by a fan or an amateur musician. Remixes and covers can add new elements or change the style of the original music, making it more personal or creative. Some examples of remixes and covers are OC Remix, Smooth McGroove, and Video Games Live.
- Licensed music: These are the music that is not composed for a video game, but is used in a video game with permission from the original artist or label. Licensed music can be from any genre or source, such as pop, rock, classical, or movie soundtracks. Some examples of licensed music are Grand Theft Auto, FIFA, and Guitar Hero.
- Chiptunes and 8-bit music: These are the music that is created using the sound chips or synthesizers of old video game consoles or computers, such as the NES, Atari, or Commodore 64. Chiptunes and 8-bit music have a distinctive retro and pixelated sound, often using simple melodies and beeps. Some examples of chiptunes and 8-bit music are Mega Man, Super Mario Bros., and Undertale.
- Ambient and atmospheric music: These are the music that is designed to create a specific mood or environment for a video game, such as calm, tense, mysterious, or eerie. Ambient and atmospheric music often use minimal or repetitive sounds, such as drones, pads, or noises. Some examples of ambient and atmospheric music are Minecraft, Silent Hill, and Limbo.
- Epic and orchestral music: These are the music that is composed to convey a sense of grandeur, drama, or adventure for a video game, such as heroic, epic, or cinematic. Epic and orchestral music often use large-scale instruments, such as strings, brass, percussion, or choir. Some examples of epic and orchestral music are The Legend of Zelda, God of War, and Skyrim.
- Electronic and techno music: These are the music that is created using electronic instruments or software, such as keyboards, synthesizers, samplers, or drum machines. Electronic and techno music have a futuristic and modern sound, often using fast tempos and beats. Some examples of electronic and techno music are Portal, Tron: Legacy, and Wipeout.
Where to Find Video Games Soundtracks?
There are many sources of video games soundtracks online, but not all of them are legal or safe. Some websites may offer pirated or infected files that can harm your device or violate the rights of the original creators. Therefore, you should always use reputable and reliable websites that offer free and legal video games soundtracks.
Best Websites for Video Games Soundtracks
Here are some of the best websites that you can use to find and download video games soundtracks for free:
|KHInsider||A large collection of video games soundtracks from various platforms and genres. You can browse by name, console, year, composer, or popularity.|
|Zophar’s Domain||A comprehensive archive of video games soundtracks in various formats. You can search by system, genre, or composer.|
|OC Remix||A community of video games music fans and artists who create and share remixes and covers of video games soundtracks. You can listen online or download the albums.|
|YouTube||A popular video-sharing platform that hosts millions of video games soundtracks, both official and fan-made. You can watch, like, comment, and subscribe to the channels.|
|SoundCloud||A popular audio-sharing platform that hosts thousands of video games soundtracks, both original and remixed. You can stream, download, follow, and interact with the artists.|
|Bandcamp||A popular music-selling platform that hosts hundreds of video games soundtracks, both indie and mainstream. You can stream, download, buy, and support the artists.|
How to Download Video Games Soundtracks from These Websites
The process of downloading video games soundtracks from these websites may vary depending on the website and the format of the file. However, here are some general steps that you can follow:
- Go to the website of your choice and find the video games soundtrack that you want to download.
- Click on the download button or link, if available. Some websites may require you to register or log in before downloading.
- Choose the format and quality of the file, if applicable. Some websites may offer different options, such as MP3, WAV, FLAC, or OGG.
- Save the file to your device or cloud storage. Some websites may automatically download the file to your default folder, while others may ask you to choose a location.
- Enjoy listening to your video games soundtrack!
How to Play Video Games Soundtracks on Your Device?
Once you have downloaded your video games soundtracks, you may want to play them on your device. However, not all devices or players can support all formats or qualities of video games soundtracks. Therefore, you may need to use some apps or players that are specially designed for video games soundtracks.
Best Apps and Players for Video Games Soundtracks
Here are some of the best apps and players that you can use to play video games soundtracks on your device:
|VGM Player||A simple and lightweight app that can play various formats of video games soundtracks, such as VGM, NSF, SPC, GBS, etc. It also supports playlists, shuffle, loop, and background play.|
|Droidsound-E||A powerful and versatile app that can play almost any format of video games soundtracks, such as MOD, XM, SID, PSF, NDS, etc. It also supports equalizer, visualizer, lyrics, tags, and online radio.|
|Winamp||A classic and popular app that can play most formats of video games soundtracks, such as MP3, WAV, OGG, FLAC, etc. It also supports skins, plugins, playlists, and online services.|
|foobar2000||A advanced and customizable app that can play many formats of video games soundtracks, such as APE, M4A, WMA, MPC, etc. It also supports components, themes, tags, and converters.|
|VLC Media Player||A universal and free app that can play almost any format of video games soundtracks, as well as video and audio files. It also supports subtitles, filters, streaming, and recording.|
How to Use These Apps and Players
The process of using these apps and players to play video games soundtracks may vary depending on the app and the device. However, here are some general steps that you can follow:
- Download and install the app or player of your choice from the official website or app store.
- Launch the app or player and grant it the necessary permissions to access your files or storage.
- Browse or search for the video games soundtrack that you want to play on your device or cloud storage.
- Select the file and tap or click on the play button. You can also adjust the volume, speed, or other settings according to your preference.
- Enjoy listening to your video games soundtrack!
Video games soundtracks are more than just music. They are an integral part of the gaming culture and experience. They can also provide various benefits for your mood, productivity, and creativity. Whether you are a gamer or not, you can enjoy listening to video games soundtracks for free by using the best websites, apps, and players that we have recommended in this article. So what are you waiting for? Start downloading and playing your favorite video games soundtracks today!
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about video games soundtracks:
Q: What is the difference between video games soundtracks and video game music?
A: Video games soundtracks are the official or original music that is composed for a video game. Video game music is a broader term that can include any music that is related to or inspired by video games, such as remixes, covers, licensed music, or fan-made music.
Q: How can I download video games soundtracks legally?
A: You can download video games soundtracks legally by using reputable and reliable websites that offer free and legal video games soundtracks. Some of these websites are KHInsider, Zophar’s Domain, OC Remix, YouTube, SoundCloud, and Bandcamp. You should avoid using websites that offer pirated or infected files that can harm your device or violate the rights of the original creators.
Q: How can I play video games soundtracks on my device?
A: You can play video games soundtracks on your device by using some apps or players that are specially designed for video games soundtracks. Some of these apps and players are VGM Player, Droidsound-E, Winamp, foobar2000, and VLC Media Player. You should use apps or players that can support the format and quality of the video games soundtracks that you have downloaded.
Q: What are some of the best video games soundtracks of all time?
A: This is a subjective question that may depend on your personal taste and preference. However, some of the most popular and acclaimed video games soundtracks of all time are Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Halo, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and Undertale. You can find and download these video games soundtracks from the websites that we have mentioned in this article.
Q: How can I make my own video games soundtracks?
A: If you are interested in making your own video games soundtracks, you will need some skills and tools to do so. You will need to learn the basics of music theory, composition, and production. You will also need to use some software or hardware that can help you create and edit your music, such as digital audio workstations (DAWs), synthesizers, samplers, or MIDI controllers. You can find many tutorials and resources online that can teach you how to make your own video games soundtracks.